Have you been waiting for more novels, graphic novels, manhua, webtoons, or podcasts set in the Assassin’s Creed universe? Ubisoft is expanding its network of publishing partners to create more Assassin’s Creed-based content in these formats featuring a variety of authors, illustrators, and content creators from all over the world in the hope that more Assassin’s Creed stories resonate with fans wherever they live - particularly in China, Japan, and Korea.
“With so many creators from all over Asia delivering innovative content, a priority for Ubisoft has been to forge new relationships with talented partners in the region,” says Julien Fabre, associate director of publishing at Ubisoft.
“We are all consumers of stories,” adds Etienne Bouvier, publishing content manager at Ubisoft. “With this global vision and local approach, we seek to offer our fans new content in formats they are familiar with, and with stories that are rooted in their cultural background and their history.”
Additionally, these new (and existing) pieces of content will be classified under three different labels to help give some context to fans:
- Classics: direct adaptations based on stories from the videogames
- Chronicles: new adventures featuring favorite iconic Assassins
- Originals: new narratives featuring new protagonists and time periods
Below, you’ll find a selection of content slated for release this year:
- Assassin’s Creed Fragments Young Adult Trilogy (Originals): Fragments is a new young adult book series developed in partnership with the French publishing house Editis. This action-adventure historical-fiction saga will feature teens caught up in the centuries-old Assassin-Templar feud, and explore the nature of the relationship between the siblings. Each book in the series will take readers to a different time period and location, with new protagonists. The first volume is set in 19th Century Japan, the second in 13th Century Scotland, and the third in 17th Century France.
- Assassin’s Creed The Jade Seal Collection (Originals): From the Zhou Dynasty (4th Century BC) to the Ming Dynasty (17th Century), this collection expands the franchise through 10 novels exploring Chinese history at large. Emperors, courtiers, legendary martial artists, poets, philosophers, and many other important figures from Chinese history will play a part in this centuries-spanning fight. New Assassins and new archenemies will join the ranks of the franchise from these epic novels written by six well-known Chinese writers, soon to be available in China.
- Assassin’s Creed The Ming Storm (Chronicles): Written by best-selling Chinese author Yan Leisheng, this novel is the start of an action-packed trilogy set in 16th century China featuring Shao Jun, a fan-favorite young Assassin who previously appeared as the protagonist of Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China. Aconyte Books, Ubisoft’s key partner for English prose novels, will publish the Ming Storm in the US and Canada on June 1, 2021. More exciting new novels, including a trilogy of books set in the Assassin’s Creed Valhalla universe, are to be released by Aconyte Books in 2022.
- Assassin’s Creed Dynasty (Manhua) (Originals): First launched as a webcomic in China by local development partner ULAB, Assassin’s Creed Dynasty has already garnered more than 150 million views online, and ranked top 3 of the Wuxia (martial arts) genre on Tencent’s platform. It will soon be available in other territories in paperback. Readers will be able to follow the adventures of Li E, an Assassin trying to save the Tang Dynasty from a civil war. TOKYOPOP will publish Assassin’s Creed Dynasty in the US and Canada, with Volume 1 releasing on September 1 as an ebook, and on January 11, 2022 as a print paperback.
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Blood Brothers (Manhua) (Chronicles): Fans will soon be able to discover the epic tale of two brave Viking brothers in this manhua set in the world of Assassin's Creed Valhalla, not long before the exploits of Eivor the Wolf-Kissed. TOKYOPOP will publish the title in the USA and Canada on June 28 for the ebook, and on August 10 for the print edition.
A sampling of both TOKYOPOP Assassin’s Creed titles will also be available as a combined Free Comic Book Day 2021 Gold Title at the Diamond Comics annual Free Comic Book Day event, which takes place on August 14 this year at participating comic shops around North America.
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla French Graphic Novel (Chronicles): Glénat Editions will release this original graphic novel in fall 2021 in France. Readers will discover the tale of an aspiring Assassin and a Christian monk, as they set out on a quest that will take them from Ravensthorpe to the mystery-filled heights of Scotland.
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Song of Glory (Chronicles): The comic series, released in single issues last year by Dark Horse comics in the US and Canada, is launching today as a collected hardcover edition. In this prequel to the game, fearless Vikings Eivor and Sigurd embark on separate adventures to prove their mettle and seek glory.
- Assassin's Creed: Blade of Shao Jun (Chronicles): This manga, based on Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China and featuring Shao Jun, is published by Viz Media in the US and Canada. The second volume in the series will be released on August 17. Readers will also discover a new modern-day plot through the story of Lisa, a teenager who falls into a trap set by Abstergo, the modern incarnation of the Templar Order.
- Assassin’s Creed Turbulence In The Ming Dynasty Podcast (Chronicles): Developed and broadcasted by China’s leading podcast platform, Ximalaya, this audio adaptation of the Ming Dynasty novel is voiced by a first-rate cast from the Chinese film industry, including Liu Yan as Shao Jun. Enriched with audio FX and a moving score, this podcast aims to fully immerse listeners in China during 16th Century Ming Dynasty.
- Webtoon (Originals): This Korean webtoon will serve as a sequel to Assassin’s Creed® Black Flag and expand Edward Kenway’s storyline. It is currently in development with partner Redice.
For more on these and other upcoming releases, visit the Assassin's Creed website.