The sixth season of the Ubisoft Entrepreneurs Lab has kicked off with a set of new startups who will work with teams at Ubisoft to create the entertainment and technology of the future. Collaborating with entrepreneurs that have the potential to transform the future of the industry, the startups selected in this new batch are all working on blockchain and positive entertainment products and services. While the program is physically anchored at the Station F incubator in Paris, this season will be mainly organized through online means with startups from all over the world, who will benefit from the support of Ubisoft experts on topics of common interest.
Aligned with Ubisoft’s commitment to have a positive influence on the future of technology and entertainment, season six has a focus on positive entertainment. Some of the selected startups draw a link between entertainment and positive outcomes on health, education, employability, social bonding, and more, and exciting and novel prospect for Ubisoft. Virginie Haas, Chief Studios Operating Officer at Ubisoft and sponsor of the season, explains, “The Entrepreneurs Lab is a great program for innovative startups to collaborate closely with Ubisoft and for us to mutually benefit from each other’s expertise and ideas. In addition to our continued focus on Blockchain, this season’s track on creating positive impacts through entertainment is perfectly aligned with Ubisoft’s mission to enrich players’ lives through original and memorable game experiences. We are excited to welcome these startups to the program and start shaping the future of entertainment together.”
A total of 12 startups have been accepted for participation in the program in its sixth season from locations all over the world. The lineup includes: Aleph (France), Anybrain (Portugal), returning participants from season five Atlantide (France), BrainLeap (United States), Crucible (United Kingdom), Game Academy (United Kingdom), Guild of Guardians (Australia), Horizon (Canada), Lexiko (France), NonFungible (Canada) and Virtuleap (Portugal). You can find out more about each of the participants below.
- Aleph.im is a distributed cloud platform that provides serverless trusted computing services, file storage and database hosting to its users. Aleph.im offers a decentralized solution that could rival traditional centralized cloud computing. It provides dApps of any chain instant access to database solutions thanks to its scalable peer-to-peer network and programming language-agnostic interface.
- Anybrain is an AI start-up that provides security and anti-fraud solutions to the gaming industry to secure online gaming and make esports fairer.
- Atlantide creates educational games based on history to learn while having fun. The first experience of Atlantide is a geolocalized game that transforms a place into an XXL playground to encourage observation, communication and immersion. Atlantide’s ambition is to dedust history by making it more concrete, more playful and less elitist, through professional and general public tools.
- BrainLeap trains attention through gaze-driven video games. Based on 30 years of academic research, our suite of games improves attention skills and reduces distractibility, which support better academic performance and executive function. Control of eye movements and attention are closely tied. Where you look, and where you are planning to look, is where you place your attention. BrainLeap’s attention training games leverage this connection with games designed to improve different aspects of attention and by using an eye tracker rather than a mouse or keyboard to play the games.
- Blueprints for the Open Metaverse (SDK)
- Game Academy is a personal development service and hiring platform for gamers. When you play games, you use, develop and train certain skills. Many of those skills are in great demand in the jobs market. Through data analytics, online bootcamps, programmes and peer-to-peer exchange, Game Academy helps players find new careers informed by their game skills and bring the global economy a new source of exceptional talent.
Guild of Guardians
- Guild of Guardians is a mobile RPG built for gamers who want to play games for more than just entertainment. We’re building a free-to-play RPG where players can turn their passion into assets by crafting, summoning and trading in a real money economy.
- Horizon Blockchain Games is driving Web3 adoption by making blockchain easy, fun and powerful for users and developers. Sequence, their wallet and developer platform, provides a seamless experience for Ethereum, NFTs, Web3, DeFi and Dapps. Their game Skyweaver—powered by Sequence—is a free-to-play trading card game where players can win, own, trade and sell NFT cards.
- Lexiko is a learning and development platform designed to support children with learning disabilities. It is designed by speech therapists, for speech therapists; is centered around video games to promote engagement with the children, and leverages machine learning to create personalized pathways within the platform for every child.
- NonFungible.com is the largest data platform about non-fungible tokens. Our role in the NFT industry is to:
- Enhance the liquidity, and ultimately, adoption of non-fungible tokens
- Provide transparency to the non-fungible token market
- Build asset valuation models to estimate “blue book” value of different digital assets (NFT)
- Help projects understand their customers or marketing opportunities through the production of tailored market reports, analysis, and competitor research.
- Virtuleap combines neuroscience and virtual reality to help increase attention levels, and address cognitive illnesses, disorders, and learning challenges. The company has created a library of VR games designed by neuroscientists in order to test and train a range of cognitive abilities and make that data accessible through our enterprise platform. They are working with leading institutions across the US and Europe, like the VA Health Care System and the Pacific Brain Health Center, to validate their solution as an effective assessment and treatment for attention deficit and cognitive decline.